With the holiday season here, so too is the busiest time of year for shopping. Here are some tips to ensure your safety during this holiday season, courtesy of the Sacramento Police Department.
Vehicle Safety Press Release
- Always look inside your car before entering it.
- Make sure all the car doors are locked before starting out.
- Park in well-lit areas or under lampposts at night.
- Don’t leave valuables in the car. Use the trunk or cover them if your car doesn’t have a trunk.
- If there is a paper under the windshield wipers on your car, turn off your car, shut the door, and lock up before you retrieve it.
- Thieves use this as a way to get you to vacate your vehicle while it is running so they can steal it.
- Never leave your vehicle running and unattended.
- Shop during the day if you can. If you must shop at night, go with a friend and stay in well-lit areas.
- Always be alert and avoid displaying or carrying large sums of money.
- Use a credit card to purchase items and keep a record of all card numbers at home.
- Avoid wearing or displaying valuable jewelry in public.
- Beware of strangers approaching you. Con artists may try to distract you with the intention of taking your valuables.
- Carry your purse against the front of your body, with your forearm across the front of the purse and your elbow held tightly against your side.
- Carry your keys, wallet, or other valuables in coat or pants pockets.
- Never carry anything in your purse that you can’t afford to lose.
- Do not resist an armed robber. Your life and safety are worth more than your shopping bags.
- Carry a cell phone with you. The emergency cell phone number in the city limits is 732-0100.
- Only shop on trusted websites.
- Don’t click links on emails. Identity thieves are creating emails that look like they are from trusted companies, but clicking links may infect your computer with malware or give the thieves access to passwords.
- Make sure to keep everything including passwords, anti-virus software, and computer software up to date.
- To keep your bank account safe, use credit or prepaid cards to purchase items.