While many of my friends are home recovering from NBA All Star Weekend, 3,200 of California’s loyal Democrats are packing their bags for the 2018 California Democrats State Convention in San Diego. What is convention you ask? It’s an annual convening of California Democratic State Central Committee (DSCC) members where we vote to determine the Democratic Party endorsed candidates for the 2018 election. I know, it’s total jargon to the untrained eye but I promise you, it’s a big deal! The Democratic Party blessing is the most coveted endorsement a candidate can get because it comes with campaign mailers to educate voters, phone bankers and precinct walkers whose support often determines the outcome of any given election. Convention is truly the All Star Weekend of politics and I couldn’t be more excited to cast my MVP ballot.
This year’s election is particularly important because many statewide seats are at stake. 3,200 of my favorite never –friends will vote Saturday to determine the Democratic Party endorsed candidate for California Governor, Lieutenant Governor, Attorney General, Secretary of State, Superintendent of Public Instruction, Treasurer, Controller, Insurance Commissioner, U.S. Senator and countless other regional races for State Assembly, State Senate and Board of Equalization. Much like NBA All Star Weekend, we will also live it up at parties & hospitality suites sponsored by candidates to win our vote. In year’s past, I have seen Common, Q-Tip, DJ Quik, Wyclef and DJ Jazzy Jeff perform at these private events and enjoyed the endless stream of free liquor. Needless to say, Dem Convention is always a VERY good time and in preparation I have put together a Dem Convention playlist for candidates, delegates and future attendees.
Marvin’s Room – Drake
- There’s a really emotional period leading up to convention where candidates call delegates to request their support. “I’m just sayin, you could do better” is a common response when I tell candidates that I have pledged my love errrr vote to someone else. The thirst is real.
Pray For Me – The Wknd feat Kendrick Lamar
- For many candidates, winning the Democratic Party endorsement is the moment they have been waiting for their entire life. Like T’Challa, they show up to convention ready for battle making this the perfect selection for the car ride to the San Diego Convention Center.
U Don’t Know Me – T.I.
- Oh, the speeches! Candidates are provided the opportunity to explain to delegates why they are the best person for the job during caucus meetings, general session and individual endorsement meetings. Politics thrives on gossip so this is their chance to clear the record and explain who they really are.
Finesse – Bruno Mars
- U.S. Representative Maxine Waters is one of this year’s keynote speakers and I literally cannot think of a more appropriate song for her entrance. She’ll walk in drippin’ like only Auntie Maxine can do.
King’s Dead- Black Panther Soundtrack
- If California Senate Pro Tem Kevin De Leon wins the Democratic Party endorsement over incumbent Dianne Feinstein for U.S. Senate, this song will surely ring through the halls of the convention center.
Jumpman – Drake & Future
- Much like the LeBron vs. Curry matchup, this North vs. South (as opposed to East vs. West) beef will be settled this weekend with former LA Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa repping the South and Lt Governor Gavin Newsom repping the North. Them boys’ aka Gubernatorial candidates are definitely up to something and this is surely the hottest seat to watch at this year’s convention.
Fade – Kanye West
- The Assembly and Senate District endorsement meetings have a cruel practice of reading off the names of delegates with the names of candidates they voted to support. It never fails, there is always a surprise waiting for candidates seeking endorsement. This one is for the flip delegate whose love is fading.
B*tch Better Have My Money – Rihanna
- Money is the mother’s milk of politics and with key endorsements, usually comes a nice check to support candidate races. While it would be uncouth for a candidate to say this, I promise they’re thinking it. Thank you Rihanna for this perfect addition to the Dem Convention soundtrack. Oh and Happy Birthday!
Humble – Kendrick Lamar
- To my candidates that win endorsement this weekend, never forget to stay humble! You are elected by the people to represent their interests so it’s not about you. It’s about what’s best for the constituents you serve!
To learn more about the California Democratic Party and State Convention please visit www.cadem.org.
Julie M. Waters is a California Lobbyist from Oakland, CA. She enjoys ballet, basketball and world travel alike and is convinced her rapper alter ego is Juicy J.
You can follow Ms. Waters on Social Media @seejulierun
330 total views