SACRAMENTO – Assemblymembers Shirley N. Weber, Ph.D. (D-San Diego) and Kevin McCarty will be joined by a representative of Stephon Clark’s family, the San Francisco District Attorney, Community members and activists to announce legislation aimed at making significant changes to how the police deploy lethal force against civilians.
WHAT: Press Conference announcing first-in-the-nation policy to address police shootings of unarmed civilians
WHEN: Tuesday, April 3rd, 11:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
WHERE: Speaker’s Press Room – Capitol Rm. 317
- Assemblymember Shirley N. Weber
- Assemblymember Kevin McCarty
- Member of Stephon Clark’s Family
- San Francisco District Attorney George Gascón
- Representatives from Black Lives Matter, Anti Police Terror Project
- Several members of the California Legislative Black Caucus
- Community activists and members
- Members of the faith community
California police departments have some of the highest rates of killings in the nation. Frequent police shootings of civilians, like the one that killed Stephon Clark in Sacramento, have made it clear that our existing use-of-force laws fail to protect Californians from unnecessary death at the hands of law enforcement.
288 total views