Stay comfortable and save money as the temperature rises
Summer rates start today
As the mercury rises in Sacramento, residents are seeking ways to stay comfortable in their homes without breaking their budget. While SMUD customers enjoy some of the lowest rates in California, air conditioning needs can drive customer usage and bills during these hot summer months, so SMUD is offering tips on how to stay comfortable in your home while also saving money.
Summer rates start today, but it’s easy to keep energy use in check without giving up cooling comfort. One of the easiest ways to save is to pay attention to when you are using energy. Energy rates are cheapest during off-peak hours before 5 p.m. and after 8 p.m. That means customers can save by minimizing energy use during the week between 5 p.m. to 8 p.m.
Another easy step is to prevent your home from heating up, which can reduce immediate cooling costs and help save on long-term costs from wear and tear on cooling equipment. SMUD has also partnered with the Sacramento Tree Foundation to provide free trees to shade and cool your home.
SMUD has more energy-saving solutions on its website and offers additional tips to save:
- In the summer, use fans and close blinds on windows that get direct sun.
- Swap out light bulbs for LEDs.
- Change your air filter and clean your HVAC unit.
- Use a programmable/smart thermostat to help control HVAC use.
- For every 2 degrees that you turn up your thermostat, you can save 5-10 percent on cooling costs.
- Avoid using multiple large appliances at the same time, especially during peak hours.
- On hot days BBQ outside or use small cooking appliances like crock pots and microwaves to help keep your house cool.
- Customers can also get customized tips, manage their bills and set up alerts on the website.