SMUD announced today that it has launched Shine, a new community development program designed to improve and revitalize neighborhoods in the Sacramento region.
Shine awards will range from $5,000 to $100,000 and are very competitive. Any nonprofit organization —501(c)(3) or 501 (c)(6)— within SMUD’s service territory is eligible to apply.
Shine awards are available at three funding levels: Spark (up to $10,000), Amplifier (up to $50,000) and Transformer (up to $100,000). Applications will be accepted through June 26.
While SMUD will consider a broad variety of potential projects, it is primarily interested in proposals within the following areas:
- Neighborhood revitalization or clean up
- STEM education (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math)
- Environmental, energy-efficiency, energy conservation or greenhouse gas reduction
- General beautification
“As a not-for-profit, community-owned organization, we work hard every day to improve the lives of our customers,” said SMUD CEO & General Manager Arlen Orchard. “The Shine program is a perfect extension of that commitment. By taking a collaborative approach and working directly with local nonprofits, we’re helping make improvements that neighborhood leaders believe will have the biggest impacts on residents in their communities.”
- SMUD awarded three pilot Shine sponsorships over the past six months to test the feasibility and administration of the program. Those grants include:
- Lighting up the Kay and St. Rose of Lima Park (Applicant: Downtown Sacramento Partnership)
- Creating the College and Sports Academy of Del Paso Heights (Applicant: Mutual Assistance Network of Del Paso Heights)
- Renovating the Wellspring Women’s Center kitchen (Applicant: Wellspring Women’s Center)
“SMUD’s Shine award will provide an important spotlight on the great people and exciting opportunities in Del Paso Heights,” said Richard Dana, executive director of Mutual Assistance Network. “We see it as the start of something tremendous.”
Shine program information sessions will be held on Wednesday, May 10 and Wednesday, June 7 at 12 p.m. at the SMUD Customer Service Center at 6301 S St. in Sacramento.
To RSVP for an information session, or for additional questions, please email email@example.com.
For more information about the SMUD Shine program and to apply today, visit smud.org/Shine.
To learn more about the commitment of SMUD to this community and SMUD’s efforts to keep Sacramento bright for more than 70 years, visit smud.org/Bright.