Well…unfortunately Sac Hub was not able to attend and cover the BET Awards on Sun-6/28, however I was parked comfortably in my mom’s living room with my mother and daughter watching the red carpet arrivals and the actual show. And, I (Pleshette Robertson, Founder of Sacculturalhub.com) have so much to say about this year’s show.
If you were like us we were flipping the channels between BET and CNN watching those great interviews with Nichelle Nichols from Star Trek, Zoe Saldano, Alicia Keys, Genuine, and more. The one in particular interview which was just 2 minutes prior to the BET show starting was that awkward interview with Joe Jackson by the CNN correspondent of whom I forget his name. Anyways in the beginning of the interview it started off great until the Mr. Joe Jackson threw us for a loop with taking the interview in another total direction of informing the CNN Correspondent with the words of "..but, I want to make this statement" that led to the introduction of Marshall (the head) of his new record company, "Ranch Records" and as Mr. Joe Jackson quoted: "This is our next move!" Okay…we all sat in full astonishment and were taken aback as we thought that we were going to hear more about the family and how they are doing. Okay you would have had to hear the interview. As we switched back to BET, we realized that we had missed 30 seconds of the opening act but that CNN interview was a must see and not to be missed (It was totally awkward, funny, surprising, and out of left field). My daughter stated: "You gotta remember, Joe Jackson was always a business man!" Okay … she had me rolling (LOL)!
So here is my rundown on my observation of the BET ’09 Awards Show which was good but as my daughter states, it could have been better (kids are so bitterly honest!).
TOP 3 WOW PERFORMANCES of BET ’09 Awards!
#1 BEST PERFORMANCE: Jaime Foxx’s charged dynamite of energy intro performance where he blasted the audience with his mimic performance of Michael Jackson’s "Just Beat It" and his exacto costume was a hit! You gotta’ love Jaime Foxx for his complete and total natural way of how he felt about Michael Jackson. I totally loved HIM as he held NOTHING back when he praised the music work of the "King of Pop". Foxx exploded with emotion! And, Foxx certainly "KEPT IT SO REAL" for us and layed it down between the crucifixion and the glorification of Michael Jackson. I must admit it was so very ironic of how on one cable network, BET with the BET ’09 Award, was glorifying and paying tribute to Michael Jackson and another cable network, CNN, was crucifying Michael Jackson. Of course, I know, as a journalist, CNN was doing its job to tell the story (EVERYTHING) about the life of Michael Jackson and that brought in the good and the not so good. P. Diddy also had some very profound words to say about the "King of Pop" with "He was our Hero…!"
#2 BEST PERFORMANCE: Improv by Keke Palmer (the girl who starred in "Akeelah and The Bee" when she came out to present an award …her voice was so bomb with no music and she totally wowwed the crowd and it wasn’t even a performance but in my book it gets in the top 3 performances!
#3 BEST PERFORMANCE: Jaime Foxx (going to town on the guitar) featuring Snoop Dogg, T-Pain … oooohhhh I was in total awe to see Snoop Dogg come out on stage … that was so rawww and uncut and the bomb surprise performance. Ooooohhh and let’s not forget "Lint Bisquit" (did I get his name right) on the drums – he was off-the-hook!
HIGHLIGHTS & MEMORABLE MOMENTS of BET ’09 Awards
1) O’jays (receiving the Lifetime Achievement Award) was the actual spotlight and spectacular performance especially the moment of when Tyrese, Johnny Gill and Trey Songs performed the initial tribute to the O’jays…OMG Tyrese was so off-the-hook (we might have to recruit him to perform at Hub Choice Awards ’09 in SacTown).
2) Maxwell’s performance was so very beautiful…giving us the sweet sounds of prophetic harmony … just simply beautiful and sexual!
3) Jaime Foxx once again in his performance with NeYo singing "I’ll Be There" by Michael Jackson!
4) The "Don Corneilus" moment, our Soul Train HERO and his statement about the OJAY’S – "…soundtrack of the Black Experience!"
5) The presentation of the Humanitarian Awards to both Alicia Keys and Wyclef Jean … I’m so down for the cause of anyone who are taking action and doing things to stop the genocide of Blacks/African Americans in third-world countries! Alicia Keys on the forefront for our Motherland (Africa) and Wyclef – an ambassador to his native country-Haiti! BIG UPS to Alicia and Wyclef!
6) Presentation of "Most Charitable Pop Star in History in Guiness Book of Records" to Michael Jackson
7) Janet Jackson statement: "Michael Jackson was a global icon to you, but Michael Jackson was family to US!" THAT’S REAL and TO BE RESPECTED!
MY COMPLAINTS about BET ’09 Awards
So I called my gurlfriend, Neketia, 5 minutes prior to the show and roared: "Why in the heck were none of these folks at BET Awards last year when we were there covering the awards show!" So many A-list top celebrities walked the red carpet and were in the house for this year’s show. And, OK, I know it’s because this became a tribute show when Michael Jackson passed on Thurs-6/25 and it’s well understood. However, we missed our photo opps with: Beyonce, Jay Z, Jaime Foxx, Snoop Dogg, Joe Jackson, Tariji Henson, Chaka Khan, Idris Alba, Tyra Banks, and so many more!
QUIRKY PERFORMANCES, BLOOPS & BLEEPS at BET ’09 Awards
WOW were there ever so many quirks, bloops, bleeps and blunders in this year’s BET ’09 Awards and some funnier than others:
1) Like, all those bleeps on the MC/Host … Jaime Foxx (he had me rolling with laughter!)
2) And, when the Ojay’s had a bleep telling the story about when Michael Jackson was a little boy … that was too funny
3) Okay…Beyonce’s performance was "DIFFERENT"…my daughter was like: "What was that????" – I totally LOVE Beyonce and was so looking towards her performance but she totally threw me for a loop. My mom quotes: "Was it a serenade!" It was quite a confusing performance. I mean I realize she was paying tribute to Michael Jackson. But I wanted to see her dance…maybe a mimicked display of one of Michael Jackson’s famous videos … that would have been fabulous! I wasn’t quite with her costume this time either…I mean it was like a fairy of some sort — similar to that of a Peter Pan display. It was just a very awkward and "boo" performance …sorry Beyonce it could’ve wowed us so much more!
MISC THINGS & QUOTES I NOTED during the BET ’09 Awards and in the CNN Interviews
- Totally loved Queen Latifah’s brief performance with Mary Mary and I loved the Queen’s t-shirt she was wearing in honor of Michael Jackson. She looked great! And her hair was so fly!
- I just gotta get me a "Michael Jackson" t-shirt…signature tees are my favorite!
- JayZ was in the building!
- LaLa and Carmelo Anthony in the front row section…I wanted Carmelo’s Michael Jackson t-shirt he was wearing…way cool and they are such a cute couple
- Jaime Foxx in the ghetto ruins – kickin’ it with the fans in the balcony of the Shrine Auditorium..was so raw and uncut…only Jaime Foxx would do something like that!
- Estelle looked beautiful on the red carpet and on stage … her chocolate rich creamy skin tone was so very beautiful!
- Okay…Michael Jackson was set to do a 50-city tour…"Are you serious????"
- Nichelle Nichols of Star Trek looked absolutely incredible … did you see this lady? She looked GREAT!
- The OJAY’s were rockin’ it with that good ole’ fashioned baby making music!
- Keri Hilson’s hair was off-the-hook!
- CEO of BET, Debra Lee state: "Michael Jackson is a global icon who was an undeniable legacy who was often imitated but never duplicated!"
- Barry Gordy stated: "He gave the world his heart and soul through his music!"
- Michael Jackson created things we never seen or heard before!
- Michael Jackson was an original not a copycat!
WHO WAS MISSING FROM THE BET ’09 AWARDS???
1) Chris Brown or Usher, who should’ve done a mimicked performance of the "Thriller" video – where were they?
2) And maybe even, MC Hammer or R. Kelly could’ve done a tribute performance
3) Will Smith and Diana Ross??????
LIST OF WINNERS at BET ’09 AWARDS
Best Male R&B
Best Female R&B Artist
Beyoncé Knowles (Winner)
Three 6 Mafia
Best Gospel Artist
Mary Mary (Winner)
Best Female Hip-Hop Artist
Best Male Hip-Hop Artist
Lil Wayne (Winner)
Best New Artist
Keri Hilson (Winner)
Jamie Foxx f/ T-Pain – Blame It (Winner)
Keri Hilson f/ Lil Wayne – Turnin’ Me On
Jim Jones f/ Ron Browz and Juelz Santana – Pop Champagne
T.I. f/ Rihanna – Live Your Life
Yung L.A. f/ Young Dro and T.I. – Ain’t I
Video Director of the Year
Benny Boom (Winner)
Video of the Year
Beyoncé Knowles – If I Were a Boy
Beyoncé Knowles – Single Ladies (Put a Ring On It) (Winner)
Jamie Foxx f/ T-Pain – Blame It
T.I. f/ Rihanna – Live Your Life
Kanye West – Heartless
Taraji P. Henson (Winner)
Samuel L. Jackson
Will Smith (Winner)
Best Female Athlete
Serena Williams (Winner)
Best Male Athlete
LeBron James (Winner)
Beyoncé Knowles – Single Ladies (Put A Ring On It)
Keri Hilson – Turnin Me On (f/ Lil Wayne)
Lil Wayne – A Milli
Soulja Boy Tell’em – Kiss Me Thru The Phone (f/ Sammie)
T.I. – Live Your Life (f/ Rihanna) (Winner)
T-Pain – Can’t Believe It (f/ Lil Wayne)
Kanye West – Love Lockdown
BET J Award (Centric)
Jazmine Sullivan (Winner)
Humanitarians of the Year
Lifetime Achievement Award
348 total views