To improve bicycle transportation downtown, the Department of Public Works is adding bike lanes to eight well connected streets, according to an official city press release.
For the first time, bicyclists will have the opportunity to have designated roadway space to travel on the streets in designated lanes just as do motor vehicles.
Streets targeted for bike lanes are:
- G Street between 8th and 16th streets
- H Street between 6th and 16th streets
- I Street between 5th and 13th streets
- J Street between 4th and 13th streets
- Capitol Mall between 5th and 9th streets
- 5th Street between I Street and Broadway
- 9th Street between I Street and Broadway
- 10th Street between H Street and Broadway
Work is expected to take place on weekends to reduce any construction related delays to traffic. Work is scheduled to take place the second and third weekends in September.
The project will underscore the City’s commitment to being bicycle friendly, and encourage sustainable, non-polluting, energy efficient and health conscious transportation. The City has risen in recent years from a bronze to silver status as a Bicycle Friendly Community from the American League of Bicyclists.
For a complete schedule of City streets being resurfaced this year and to register to receive an email alert about Traffic Alert messages from the City, go to www.cityofsacramento.org and click on Traffic Alerts.
298 total views