It’s time to file taxes, but your family could be eligible to get hundreds or even thousands of dollars in return.

The California Earned Income Tax Credit (CalEITC) and the Young Child Tax Credit (YCTC) are ways the State of California is giving back more tax dollars to California families.

The amount of money you get back depends on your income and the number of qualifying dependents.

In addition, this year, families who qualify for CalEITC will also receive an additional $600 on top of what you would already receive, as a part of California’s Golden State Stimulus Program.

You may qualify for the CalEITC if:

  • You’re at least 18 years old or have a qualifying child
  • You have earned income of $30,000 or less
  • You earned at least $1 in 2020

You may qualify for the Young Child Tax Credit if:

  • You qualify for the CalEITC
  • You have a child under the age of 6

Furthermore, for the first time, even more Californians who earn income, including undocumented immigrants and people with an Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN), are eligible for the CalEITC and the YCTC!

Click here to learn more and find out if you qualify for the CalEITC and the YCTC.

If you qualify for the CalEITC you may also qualify for the federal EITC and Child Tax Credit (federal tax credits require a valid Social Security number). Visit the IRS website  to find out if you qualify.

Find out how much you could get back:

Do you need help with doing your taxes? Many people lose out because they don’t know, but you can get FREE tax preparation help!

If you qualify for the CalEITC or earned less than $72,000 last year, chances are you also qualify for free tax-filing services. There are many ways to get help!

The IRS provides free, safe and trustworthy tax prep right in our community, click here to learn more.

The United Way California Capital Region can also provide free tax help at

Our community has been hit hard by the COVID-19 pandemic, and we want to make sure you are not leaving your hard-earned money on the table. If you have questions about these tax credits, visit or text EITC to 47177 for English, or Crédito for Spanish.

As always, please feel free to contact my office at with your questions, concerns or suggestions.


Dr. Richard Pan
State Senator 6th District


Similar Posts